Types of Tests Used in Cardiology
Cardiology is known as the treatment and study of heart related disorders, and of blood vessels. A person who has cardiovascular disease or heart disease, would be referred to cardiologist. Cardiology is the internal medicine branch, and cardiac surgeon is not same as cardiologist. A cardiac surgeon is required to open cheat, on which the heart surgery is performed.
Cardiologist focuses on treating diseases and diagnosing the diseases related to cardiovascular system. Cardiologists are required to carry out some procedures and tests, such as inserting pacemaker, angioplasty, or heart catheterization. Heart diseases are all specifically related to heart, where as cardiovascular diseases are related to blood vessels, heart, or both. You will come across the best top 10 cardiology hospital in India, in various states, such as Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kerala, Delhi, etc.
There are several heart diseases which cardiologist could help with such as atherosclerosis, atrial fibrillation, arrhythmias, congenital heart disease, coronary heart disease, hypertension, pericarditis, ventricular tachycardia, hypertension, etc.
Type of tests performed are:
- Electrocardiogram: EKG or ECG test records the heart’s electrical activity.
- Ambulatory ECG: It records the rhythms of heart, during the time when the person is engaged into regular activities or exercise. So on the chest small electrodes are placed, which are connected through wires to Holter monitor, that records the heart rhythms.
- Stress Test or Exercise Test: This test displays the changes in heart rhythm while exercising and resting. It measures limitations and performance of heart.
- Echocardiogram: This test offers the heart’s structure through ultrasound picture which shows heart chambers along with its surrounding areas. It can also show if the working of heart is well or not. So it measures if the heart has been pumping blood effectively or not, which is called cardiac output. It can identify if there is any inflammation or abnormalityaround heart, which is called pericarditis. It can also detect any infections or structural abnormality of heart valves.
- Cardiac Catheterization:Through this small tube inserted collects the data as well as helps with blockage. With this cardiologist are also able to take pictures, which allows them to see electrical system and heart’s functioning.
- Nuclear Cardiology: This is an imaging technique, which uses radioactive materials which helps study the cardiovascular diseases and disorder in noninvasive manner. Some of the examples include of infraction imaging, planar imaging, myocardial perfusion imaging, and SPECT-single photon emission computed tomography
- Cardiac Electrophysiology: It can help in deciding if a pacemaker is required for patient, how in the muscle tissue of heart electrical current work and spreads. It can offer treatment and care for the abnormal rhythms involving pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators, or cardiac ablation.
Usually the physician recommends you to cardiologist, but many prefer to choose on their own as well. Cardiac related issue is one of the major disease which affects the lifestyle, and also heart is an essential part of the body, so you have to be extra careful with it, so opt for the finestcardiology hospital in India that will provide the best health care.