Introduction to SUVs:
Sports Utility Vehicles, commonly abbreviated as SUVs are one of the highest selling models of cars in today’s age. If you are looking for a family car or a car which would enable you to view the traffic from a higher elevation, then you should certainly consider an SUV. Even though their fuel economy could not be termed as the best one in the market, they are more spacious from inside and have a much higher ground clearance.
If you compare the older versions of SUVs against the newer ones, older ones are known to have more robust engines. But the focus on the present day manufacturing is more on the fuel efficiency. In a broader sense, SUVs could be compact, mid-size or full-size. The inside space and the size of the vehicle vary in each of the categories. Hyundai Tucson is an example of a compact SUV, Kia Sorento could be termed as a mid-size SUV and Ford Expedition falls under the full-size category.
Reasons to buy SUVs:
There are some unique reasons why people shop for SUVs. Let us look at few:
- SUVs are more spacious to sit for everyone and if you are planning on a road trip, it could be an amazing experience for everyone.
- SUVs these days are doing very well in terms of fuel efficiency. Some of the compact and mid-sized ones have gas mileage almost comparable to standard size sedans.
- They are much safer than smaller cars, especially when you get into an accident. That’s why it is a very popular choice, especially among women.
- If you are in a high altitude road or a low steep one, SUVs are definitely better to control and drive than the smaller cars.
- SUVs are also known to perform efficiently in flood conditions.
- They have a decent size trunk and can carry more luggage. They are also priced in an affordable range; again it might vary based on the upgrades you choose.
Now that we have multiple reasons to consider an SUV, let us look at some of the most sought-after ones on the market right now:
The all-new Nissan Armada comes with three-row seating arrangement from inside and runs on a V8 horsepower. The 2018 version has three variants namely SV, SL, and platinum. The SV model comes with all the basic features but if you are looking for some upgrades like leather seating, you are certainly looking at the SL model or higher.
- Very high customer rating.
- Very spacious and could accommodate up to 8 people. Could be a perfect car if you are planning a road trip.
- Very high towing power. In its full capacity, this SUV could tow over 8000 pounds.
- It is a bit expensive.
- Nissan Armadas are low on gas mileage.
Lincoln Navigator L:
The 2018 Lincoln Navigator L comes in a V6 twin turbo engine with a compression ratio of approximately 10. There are 28 valves in the car and it would not be surprising to say that this is the best car that Lincoln is manufacturing at the moment.
- The perfect combination of elegance and performance.
- Modern self-parking capability.
- 360-degree camera technology.
- If you do not have a higher budget, then you might think twice before shopping for this beast as the base price starts at $80,000.
- Might not be a perfect choice for someone who is not comfortable driving big cars.
This all-wheel-drive SUV comes with direct injection type of fuel induction. It has almost 17 gallons of gas capacity and 8.7 inches of minimum ground clearance. It can accommodate up to 5 passengers quite comfortably and comes in base, limited and premium variants.
- Scores almost a perfect score in consumer ratings which clearly indicates its high performance.
- Extremely good on gas mileage for an SUV in its category.
- Base price starting around the $22,000.
- Could not be cited as a high adrenaline SUV.
- Resale value isn’t the best in the market.
Audi Q3 2018 model:
If you are looking for a small size SUV with style and elegance and at the same time want to own a luxury brand, Audi Q3 is your jackpot car. This SUV has an FWD drivetrain and comes with an automatic transmission. The turning diameter is about 38.7 inches its height is almost 63 inches.
- Affordable car, considering the fact that it is an Audi product.
- Very high-end speaker system.
- The manufacturer’s warranty isn’t the best in its category.
- You would avoid this if you do not want to spend extra on premium gas.
Nissan Rogue Sport:
The latest model of the Nissan Rogue Sport comes with a technology package and an amazing around-view camera. It comes with automatic transmission and a 4 cylinder engine. If you are looking for a sporty low maintenance everyday SUV, this could very well do the job for you.
- Extremely satisfying customer base.
- Excellent gas mileage for an SUV in its category.
- Very affordable price.
- Not suitable for adventurous activities.
- Has less power compared to its counterparts in the same category.
2018 BMW X6:
This latest technology beast comes with a 6 cylinder turbo engine and automatic transmission with the inclusion of manual modes, thereby giving more fun to drivers who are comfortable with both the transmission types. It has an RWD drivetrain and a big gas tank of over 22 gallons. The turning diameter is 42 feet and 3.15 standard axle ratio.
- Parking assistance feature.
- Scores a perfect score in the ‘fun to drive’ category.
- Comfortable to drive and speedy acceleration.
- Uses premium gas and would cost extra than the standard one.
- Doesn’t come with a protective mat in the luggage area.
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio:
This Italian stylish car has a 280 horsepower and 306 Torque. The gas capacity is about 17 gallons and comes with an automatic transmission. It has a 4 cylinder engine and 16 valves in total.
- Modern look and athletic performance.
- Great warranty covering up to 4 years or 50,000 miles end-to-end.
- Not a very popular choice.
- Resale value isn’t much.
Hyundai Santa Fe:
The Hyundai Santa Fe is a family SUV car that has all the modern technologies required for a happy picnic. With multimedia touchscreen & electronic parking break it becomes a car worth buying for the busy streets. The best thing about Hyundai is that it is focusing on creating models with built-in Artificial Intelligence.
- In-build Hyundai Smart Sense – A sensible machine to make your driving experience smooth
- 3.3 MPi V6 2WD petrol engine can lead to travel high mountains with your family
- 12-way adjustable driver’s seat gives priority to the drivers’ comfort
- Electronic parking brake would be a great help for parking on the busy streets.
Depending on your budget and choice, there is an SUV option available in each category and at all the price points. Compare various SUVs and check online reviews to decide the perfect one for you. Take a test drive and see how it feels.