If you don’t know what Sacrificial Anodes are, then here you will find all the answers. Sacrificial Anodes are highly active metals that are used to prevent other less active materials from corrosion. It is created from an electrochemical compound with a substantial negative potential so that the other metals can be protected. As this metal sacrifices itself for the safety of other metal, thus it is called sacrificial anode.
Normally, these anodes are used in places for material which often comes in contact with the saline solution. As saline solution contains a large number of metal ions, they react with the other metal which results in rusting and corrosion. The primary use of these anodes is to the marines. As a part of Cathodic Protection, the sacrificial anodes are electrically linked to the hull of the ship. There are various benefits of sacrificial anodes, and for the marines, these anodes are more useful than anyone else. They are made from such metal that would protect the ship’s body and system.
Other materials on which these Sacrificial anodes can be deployed on are given below:
- Wave and tidal generators
- Quay and harbor walls
- Water tanks
- Power station
- Storage Tanks
- Wind turbine
- Subsea structures, etc
It is one of the best materials that Science has made. The positive points that are latched with the sacrificial anodes are listed below:
- Durability:These anodes can last up to 25 years thereby protecting the metal within. Therefore, the sacrificial anodes will provide effective cathodic protection as they can last longer.
- Reliability: As these sacrificial anodes are capable of securing the inside metal, it becomes more reliable to use such kind of materials.
- No modification on Hull or No Hull Penetration:Once you get the metal protection of the sacrificial anode, they will ensure that no harm will come to your equipment and its parts.
- Zero Risk of Interference: The metal alloy will embark its presence by eliminating the risk of interference with other metal ions too.
- Compatibility with Other Subsea Equipment:Plus these anodes are not only compatible with the subsea equipment; they can also be used along with other CP systems too.
6) Lower Cost: As compared to the benefits these materials have, they have comparatively reasonable prices. It can be easily bought at affordable prices, and the best quality anodes will have a large life cycle at a reduced cost.
7) No Maintenance Required: The best thing about these sacrificial anodes is that you won’t need to maintain them. Once they are linked with the metal, you can lay back and rely on these materials. However, luckily, they don’t require regular checkup and maintenance.
So, now you know the benefits of sacrificial anodes. There is a big range of anodes available in the market. So you can choose any one of them according to your needs.